Gale Approval Guide: Baldur’s Gate 3
Gale, the resident wizard of the party, is the easiest one you can woo and earn his approval in no time in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Baldur’s Gate 3 follows the classic Dungeons & Dragons tradition of recruiting companions and fostering romantic connections with them. To initiate a romantic relationship in BG3, you must first gain their respect by increasing their approval rating. This also holds true for the party wizard, Gale. Upon recruiting Gale in Act 1, you can engage with him and perform actions that align with his values to earn his approval in the game.
Gale is a principled individual who prioritizes adherence to laws above all else. He serves as the moral compass for your entire camp and appreciates your commitment to doing what is right. Gale embodies the opposite of all things evil and morally objectionable, and by following his lead, you can earn his approval in Baldur’s Gate 3. Once you’ve completed his companion quest, “Wizard of Waterdeep,” during Act 2, his approval rating will turn green (indicating a very positive relationship), allowing you to pursue a romantic connection with Gale.
How to gain Gale approval in BG3
Show kindness and empathy toward Gale’s circumstances throughout the campaign, and you’ll quickly earn his approval. Additionally, he appreciates it when you recruit Karlach and include her in your active party alongside Gale.
Here are the choices you can make to build Gale’s approval in Baldur’s Gate 3:
Act 1 Gale approval choices
- Standing up for others, doing acts that are found to be good rather than evil and violent, and making decisions backed by intelligence increase Gale’s approval.
- Showing interest in magic, engaging further with Gale, and learning more about the magic domain from him is a bonus point in his eyes.
- Gale cares about animals a lot. Saving them, recruiting them for your camp, showing them kindness, and petting the animals increase Gale’s Approval.
- Stop the Tiefling Arka from hurting the captured goblin, Sazza, inside the Emerald Grove.
- Protect Arabella from Kagha by any means necessary. In case you fail, confront Kagha and attack her for killing a child in cold blood.
- Refuse to open the Druid Grove gate for Minthara to earn Gale’s approval in BG3.
- Recruit Lae’zel, Karlach, and Wyll into the party.
- Try to convince Owlbear to let you go. If you kill her, don’t hurt the Owlbear cub.
- Refuse to take Minthara’s side and attack her instead inside Goblin Camp.
- Give an additional 200 gold to the struggling artist, Oskar Fevras, in the Zhentarim hideout.
- When Gale requests you for a magical item, give it to him to earn his massive approval in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- Stop Lae’zel from killing party members inside the camp.
- When Gale asks you to experience the weave, allow him. During the experience, select the following dialogue option: “Picture kissing Gale.” This will also start your romance with Gale.
Act 2 Gale approval choices
- Inside Last Light Inn, warn Isobel about Marcus’ intentions.
- On the Shadowed battlefield, select the following dialogue option: “Move aside. I will take care of it.”
- Make Malus Thorm and her nurses kill each other inside the House of Healing.
- When you talk to Arabella in the camp, select the following dialogue option: “Your parents would be proud of you.”
Act 3 Gale approval choices
- Inside House of Hope, refuse to remove your clothes and pledging to your body to Harleep.
- Persuade Gale to join you in an orgy with the Drow twins. When he expresses his doubts, reply with: “Your body looks great” to earn Gale’s approval in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- Refuse to accept Deal with the Gnomes’ quest from Manip Falcao.
What not to do if you want Gale’s approval
Considering his affinity for nature, peace, and magic, engaging in actions that contradict his values can diminish Gale’s Approval of your character in BG3.
The actions that can decrease Gale’s Approval primarily represent chaos and destructive tendencies. Such behaviors can result in ignorance, a lack of intelligence, cruelty, and more negative consequences.
The following actions are deemed as Gale’s Approval Down choices in BG3:
- Showing cruelty towards Animals.
- Belittling and insulting others and not helping them in situations.
- Lack of Intelligence in situations that require it immensely.
- Starting a violent confrontation or attacking someone unprovoked.
- Killing owlbear cub after defeating owlbear during Act 1 of the game.
- Siding with Minthara to destroy Emerald’s Grove will decrease Gale’s approval of you by a massive amount. He will leave your party unless you persuade him to stay.
- Refusing to learn from Necromancy of Thay or handing it over to Gale’s archnemesis Astarion.
- Telling Madeline to stab herself during He Who Was side quest in Act 2 of the game.
- Making Gale participate in Dribbles’ Clown show will make him furious, resulting in you losing his approval in Baldur’s Gate 3.
- When Gale presents a weaving experience, select the following dialogue option: “Imagine Gale’s head on a spike.”
- Make fun of Isobel and tell her she is going to meet Ketheric Thorm.
- Make a fuss when Steel watchers try to arrest you at Rivington’s gate.
Impact of Approval on Gale’s Romance
Romancing Gale in BG3 is a straightforward process, as you can quickly earn his approval by adhering to a virtuous path. Once his approval meter reaches a positive level, initiate a conversation with Gale at the camp and choose all the positive dialogue options to win his affection. However, severing your romantic relationship with Gale is not a simple task. If you persist in malevolent actions that continually earn his disapproval, he will eventually depart from the party permanently, affecting both your relationship and your in-game progress.